Saudi-led airstrike kills 20 in Yemeni capital Sanaa

At least 20 killed, and many wounded in airstrike by Saudi-led forces on Yemeni capital of Sanaa

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

People gather at the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa September 22, 2015.

Updated Sep 23, 2015

According to medics and local officials, at least 20 were killed in an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition on Tuesday in the Capital Sanaa. Two houses were leveled due to the attack.

"Two missiles hit the two houses in the Asbahi district in southern Sanaa, destroying them, killing 20 people and wounding others," a medic at the scene said.

Earlier on Tuesday, a local official said that an airstrike had hit an hotel in the same district.

Saudi Air Forces have led an Arab coalition - comprises 10 countries - in Yemen since March 26 targeting Iranian-backed Houthi militias to restore the exiled government of the Yemeni president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Last month, government forces retook Aden from the Houthis, who are supported by loyalists of the deposed president Ali Abdullah Saleh, in a major setback for the rebels. Later they captured Abyan province also on Aug. 11.

The UN's World Food Programme has warned of a famine in the war-torn Yemen. Twenty million people in the country are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.

At least 4,000 civilians were killed since the coalition began its bombing campaign in support of the exiled government in last March, and at least 1.3 million forced to flee their homes during the conflict.

TRTWorld and agencies