The deadliest day of Saudi-led coalition operations in Yemen resulted in 80 deaths in total in Yemen’s capital Sanaa and at the Yemeni-Saudi border.
Raids on the Bakeel al-Meer area in Hajjah across the Saudi border killed 40 people, most of whom were civilians, locals said.
"Houthi gunmen were attacking Saudi border positions from this area but the coalition's planes failed to hit the fighters and bombed civilians [instead]," one resident told Reuters.
Only hours later around 40 more people were killed and more than 100 others were wounded in the capital Sanaa.
A Yemeni soldier who survived the attack in Sanaa said the air strikes hit a warehouse where soldiers and Houthi militiamen were receiving their weapons. "So far we're not sure how many are dead," the soldier told Reuters.
"There were many people at the entrance to the warehouse, getting their weapons, farmers, cooks [and also soldiers]; these poor people were standing at the entrance to the warehouse. Two strikes, two hits, [occurred] one right after the other. The warehouses are completely destroyed."
Wednesday’s air strikes on the war torn Yemen could be the deadliest so far in the ongoing conflict the twelve member Saudi-led coalition, which is battling the Iranian backed Houthi militants and other fighters loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Saudi Arabia responded to a call last March from Yemeni President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi, who is now in Riyadh, to save Yemen from the Houthi rebels who seized the country’s capital last September.