Saudi Arabian-led coalition forces announced a humanitarian truce in Yemen, after weeks of their campaign against Iranian backed Houthi forces, taking effect starting Sunday evening at 11:59 pm local time (8:59 GMT), the Saudi state news agency SPA said
The cease-fire came after at least 120 people were killed in Saudi airstrikes in a residential area town on the Red Sea coast on Friday.
The truce is expected to last five days to allow for desperately needed humanitarian aid to be delivered to war torn Yemen.
The statement on Saturday by the Arab coalition stressed that they would respond to any violation of the truce by the Houthis.
The UN has declared the situation in Yemen to be a level-three humanitarian emergency, the highest on its scale, after about 80 percent of the country’s population fell into the dire need for humanitarian aid.
Twenty million people in the country are in need of aid, 13 million are facing food shortages and 9.4 million are having difficulties accessing drinking water.
A ship carrying enough UN aid to feed 180,000 people for a month docked at the Yemeni port of Aden on Tuesday, having previously being prevented from doing so for almost four weeks, World Food Programme spokesman Peter Smerdon said.
"It's the first WFP chartered ship to berth in the port since the conflict erupted in late March," Smerdon said. "We have additional ships chartered which are on standby heading towards Aden carrying more food and fuel."