Iraq’s top Shiite cleric Ali al Sistani condemned the subsequent attacks in the country’s eastern town of Muqdadiya and recent bombings that DAESH claimed responsibility for earlier this week, his representative said on Friday.
"We place full responsibility on the government security forces for (the attacks') repetition," Sistani’s representative spoke to state television and urged the government to curb the further militant activities.
A total of 51 people have been killed in multiple attacks across Baghdad earlier this week.
The terrorist group, DAESH has claimed responsibility for the shopping mall attack in eastern Baghdad and a car bomb exploded nearby in twin attacks that killed at least 18 people.
The country has been shaken by another deadly attack on Tuesday, amid the aftermath of Monday’s deadly car and shopping mall attacks in which at least seven Sunni mosques and dozens of shops in eastern Iraq were firebombed.
Ten people were also shot and killed in Muqdadiya, 80 km (50 miles) northeast of Baghdad, security and hospital sources said. The attacks occurred in the central districts of Mualimeen, Asri and Orouba, the security sources said.
Officials tried on Tuesday to head off further violence, condemning the mosque attacks as well as Monday's bombings which DAESH said had targeted Shiites.
Abdul Lateef al Himayim, head of Iraq's government body overseeing Sunni religious sites, called their actions "a desperate attempt to destroy Iraqi unity", while the United Nations warned in a statement that the mosque bombings could "take the country back into the dark days of sectarian strife.''