The four young Saudi ‘heroes’ who prevented a suicide bomber from entering a mosque in Dammam will be buried in the Saihat municipality, near the city, on Wednesday.
The attack was claimed by ISIS and followed another bombing on a Shiite mosque that took place only a week earlier in Qateef.
While thousands gathered in Qateef following the attack to pay respects and say goodbye after the previous attack, another massive crowd is expected for the joint funeral of Mohammed al-Arbash, Abdul Jalil al-Arbash, Mohammed Eisa and Abdul Hadi al-Hashim on Wednesday.
The ISIS suicide bomber was dressed in an abaya, a traditional full-body covering worn by women, as he attempted to enter the mosque without arousing suspicion. The bomber then detonated the explosive belt he was wearing.
Photos at the site of the explosion show body parts and blood splattered on the ground and fences of the mosque.
Witnesses said three of the dead men were trying to protect the mosque and keep the suspicious-looking man outside. The fourth man who died was another civilian who happened to be passing at the time of the explosion.
"Because of that, they are heroes," one resident told AFP.
The Eastern Dammam community is trying to help the police and the Ministry of Interior protect worshippers as much as possible, in terms of inspecting and searching at the entrances of mosques, and staying vigilant for any possible attacks.