Nigerian army and witnesses said on Saturday that a larger number of people had been killed in an attack by six suicide bombers of Boko Haram on the northeastern village of Zabarmari, near northeastern city of Maiduguri in Borno state.
According to witnesses, several suicide bombers blew themselves up among villagers, who escaped from Boko Haram attack and killed dozens of people.
‘’A total of six suicide bombers had detonated themselves around garage killing scores of people while some people were also wounded. A soldier also died,’’ defence headquarters said in a statement about Friday’s attack.
"The soldiers were forced to retreat," A local resident Haladu Musa, who fled the attack, told AFP.
Following the initial attack, when people began to flee, female suicide bombers started blowing themselves up in their midst, killing large numbers of people, Musa said.
A series of Boko Haram attacks have killed more than 200 people in only three days.
The statement said that troops recovered a jeep full of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) among weapons after suicide bomb attacks on the village near Maiguduri, the capital of Borno state.
The Nigerian army said search continues “"for any bombs that might have been hidden or left unexploded in the area."
Boko Haram has been fighting a six-year insurgency in a bid to establish a state of its own in northern Nigeria and in the process has killed thousands of people and caused about 1.5 million to flee their homes.
The militant group pledged its allegiance to ISIS in March.