A South African court on Monday sentenced two men to prison accused of beating and stabbing a Mozambican man to death amid a xenophobic unrest in April last year, local media reported.
The two South African men Mthinta Bhengu and Sifundo Mzimela, were found guilty of murder and sentenced to 17 and 10 years in prison after accused of attacking Mozambican Emmanuel Sithole in Johannesburg.
702 Talk Radio reported that Bhengu, who has a previous conviction for crime, received the harsher sentence. Bhengu continued to attack the Mozambican vendor even as he was begging for mercy said magistrate Van der Schyff.
"It is not acceptable that a person should be killed in this manner," said Van der Schyff.
In April last year, waves of anti-immigrant attacks first sparked in the eastern Kwa-Zulu Natal province before spreading to Johannesburg.
During the unrest, at least seven people were killed while hundreds of foreigners fled to rescue camps as the South African government sent security forces to suppress the violence.