State of emergency in Tunisia after bus attack

Tunisia declares state of emergency after explosion on bus carrying presidential guards in capital

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Tunisian police officer consoles a family member of one of the victims of a bomb blast on a bus transporting Tunisia's presidential guard in central Tunis, November 24, 2015

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi declared a state of emergency in the country and a curfew in the capital Tunis, after a bus carrying presidential security personnel was targeted in a bomb attack on Tuesday.

Presidency had earlier said that there were 14 deaths, but then later the Tunisian Interior Ministry stated that at least 12 people have died and 16 people have been wounded in the attack.

Presidential spokesman Moez Sinaoui described the bomb blast as an “attack,” although it has not been claimed by any group yet.

Essebsi said on TV that the country is at "war against terrorism" and called for international cooperation against extremists.

“I want to reassure the Tunisian people that we will vanquish terrorism," he said.

He also canceled his trip to Switzerland, which was scheduled for Wednesday.

Police, ambulances and fire trucks are at the scene.

The country has suffered from violence, since overthrowing its longtime dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in 2011, during the “Arab Spring.”

DAESH had claimed two earlier terror attacks in Tunisia, the National Bardo Museum attack in March, killing 22 people and the resort hotel attack in Sousse in June, killing 38 tourists.


TRTWorld and agencies