Suicide attack kills two in northeastern Nigeria

Suicide attack kills two, injures four people in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

A female suicide bomber on Saturday killed two and injured four people in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state and another bomb exploded leaving two others injured, the state police said on Sunday.

Borno state police official Aderemi Opadokun said: ‘’A female suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device strapped to her body along the Baga-Monguno highway, killing herself and two others on Saturday.’’

Since Nigeria’s new President Muhammadu Buhari came to power on May 29, it was the sixth bomb attack in the country’s northeast.

No group has claimed responsibility, but Boko Haram is suspected to carry out the attacks the group has been using female suicide bombers and homemade explosives.

Nigeria’s newly elected 72-year-old President Muhammadu Buhari travelled to Germany on Sunday to present the leaders attending the G7 summit with a “wish list” seeking assistance in tackling the Boko Haram group.

Buhari was sworn into office last month after defeating incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan in elections after basing his campaign on defeating Boko Haram, marking the first ever democratic shift of power in the country’s history.

Boko Haram has been fighting a six-year insurgency in a bid to establish a state of its own in northern Nigeria and in the process has killed thousands of people and caused about 1.5 million to flee their homes.

TRTWorld and agencies