Suicide attack on mosque in Cameroon leaves four dead

Suicide attack on mosque in Cameroon’s Far North Region kills four and injures two people

Photo by: AP (Archive )
Photo by: AP (Archive )

People inspect a damaged mosque following an explosion in Maiduguri, Nigeria, Friday, Oct. 23, 2015. A self-defence fighter says twin bomb blasts have killed at least 18 at a northeast Nigerian mosque crowded with people observing pre-dawn prayers.

A suicide bombing of a mosque in Cameroon’s Far North Region near the Nigerian border has killed four people.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but it is reportedly suspected to have been carried out by Boko Haram.

"The toll of this attack is four dead and two injured," said a source at the scene of the attack, adding that Cameroonian troops arrived at the scene after the inicdent.

"A strong explosion occurred in Nguetchewe Mosque, located in the department of Mayo Tsanaga (Far North) on Monday at around 5:00 A.M. (0400 GMT) during the morning prayer," said gendarmerie commander Alfred Mbadi.

This was confirmed by Ouhe Kolandi, an administrative official in the Mayo Moskota locality.

"The explosion was so strong that it destroyed part of the walls of the mosque," said Ali Blama, a preacher at the mosque.

"We removed six bodies from the rubble and the injured were transported to the nearest hospital," he added without giving details regarding the number of injured.

This is the third suicide attack to target a mosque in Cameroon’s Far North region near the Nigerian border in 2016.

Last week a similar attack targeted a mosque in the city of Kouyape, killing 12 people and leaving one injured.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but such attacks are usually attributed to Boko Haram.

Boko Haram, which has pledged allegiance to the DAESH terrorist organisation, has waged a six-year conflict that began in northeast Nigeria which has spread to neighboring countries.

At least 20 percent of Cameroon's 24 million people are believed to be Muslims.

In November 2013, French priest Georges Vandenbeusch was kidnapped from Nguetchewe. Boko Haram claiming responsibility for his abducation. He was freed after spending around 50 days in captivity.

Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said last week that nearly 1,200 people have been killed in the Far North of Cameroon since 2013, when Boko Haram began attacking Cameroonian territory bordering its northeast Nigerian stronghold.

Cameroon boosted its military presence along the Nigerian border in 2013, under increasing pressure from Boko Haram militants on the other side of the border.

Along with Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Benin, Cameroon is part of a regional military force fighting militants who have killed at least 17,000 people and made more than 2.6 million others homeless.

TRTWorld and agencies