Suicide attacks in Cameroon kill at least 11

At least 11 killed in double suicide attacks in Cameroon’s Nigerian border officials say number may increase

Photo by: AFP (Archive)
Photo by: AFP (Archive)

A convoy of Cameroonian soldiers reinforces the military against Boko Haram militants in Dabanga, June 17, 2014

At least 11 people were killed after a female suicide bomber blew herself up in Cameroon's northern city of Nguetchewe near the Nigerian border on Wednesday morning, local sources told Anadolu Agency.

"Two suicide bombers visited a wake in Nguetchewe at around 5.30am (0400GMT),” Garba Audu, a traditional leader told Anadolu Agency. He added that the explosion from the first suicide bomber killed the second bomber.

"We have, so far, recorded nine deaths, not including the two suicide bombers, and more than a dozen serious injuries," Audu said. The number of deaths may increase as there are many seriously injured he added.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but such attacks have generally been attributed to Boko Haram.

Six people were killed in a mosque attack in Cameroon's northern city of Nguetchewe on Jan. 18. The attack was attributed to Boko Haram.

Since the beginning of the year, 15 suicide bombings have been carried out in Cameroon, according to Communication Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary, while more than 1,100 civilians and security force members have been killed in attacks attributed to Boko Haram since 2013.

Cameroon has reinforced its military presence along its border with Nigeria, trying to repel the Nigerian militant group with the help of local population.

TRTWorld and agencies