The Nigerian Army announced on Monday that nine people were killed and 24 others were wounded on Sunday when three suicide bombers between the ages of 10 and 15 blew themselves up.
Army spokesman Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said that the assailants targeted a security checkpoint in the town of Benisheik, located in the northern Nigerian state of Borno.
Although no one claimed responsibility for the attacks, Boko Haram is viewed as the group most likely responsible for the attacks.
In September 2013, Benisheik was hit by two attacks also believed to have been committed by Boko Haram militants in which more than 150 people were killed.
Usman said that the army launched an operation on Sunday, raiding two camps in the same state and killing at least 12 Boko Haram militants.
Since 2009, the group has killed at least 17,000 people, mostly in Nigeria, and 2 million others have been displaced by the violence caused by its insurgency.
Boko Haram was established in 2002. Since then, it has carried out attacks in West African countries including Chad, Niger and Cameroon.
The group's name translates to “Western education is forbidden" in the Hausa language.