Suicide bombs kill at least 27 in Chad

Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill at least 27 in two simultaneous attacks in Chadian capital N'Djamena

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Suicide bombers killed at least 27 in two simultaneous attacks on Monday, targeting a police headquarters and training school in Chad’s capital N'Djamena, as the country waged war against militancy in the region, especially the threat of Boko Haram.

Chadian officials said more than 100 people were also injured in the attacks which appeared to be carried out by Boko Haram militants, being the first such a strike in the country.

The central African nation Chad has been cooperating with the neighbouring Nigeria, Cameroon, and Niger against Boko Haram which has been fighting a six-year insurgency in a bid to establish a state of its own in northern Nigeria and other neighbouring territories, including areas surrounding Lake Chad.

Officials also said four Boko Haram militants were killed in the attacks, raising security measures in the country.

Chadian Communication Minister Hassan Sylla Bakari said Boko Haram is making a mistake for targeting his country.

"These lawless terrorists will be chased out and neutralised wherever they are,” said Bakari.

Recent offensive by Nigerian army was backed by neighbouring Niger and Chad, leading to the recapture of most of the territory in northeastern Nigeria, Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states and forcing Boko Haram to retreat and seek other areas to capture.

However, the militant group has carried a number of suicide attacks in the region, killing more than 100 people, including soldiers from Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Niger.

The Peace and Security Council of the African Union  decided to set up a regional task force of 7,500 to fight the Nigerian insurgents. At present, Nigeria and its four neighbouring countries Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger have decided to send troops to participate the multinational force.

The five-nation military coalition, known as MultiNational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), was first agreed upon in May last year, following the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria.

The joint force in the Chad capital Ndjamena will be ready by July 3.

TRTWorld and agencies