Media sources close to the Syrian regime said on Sunday that DAESH slaughtered 300 people on Saturday in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor in daylong attacks that saw the terrorists make significant advances in the contested region.
The state media said that most of those killed in the attacks were elderly people, women and children as opposition activists said that many of them were Syrian regime soldiers and militiamen and their families.
Meanwhile, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported on late Saturday that at least 135 people were killed. SOHR said that about 80 of them were Syrian regime soldiers and militiamen and the rest civilians. Most of them were shot dead ot beheaded, the group added.
The attacks were some of the worst carried out by the terrorist group which controls large parts of Syria and Iraq and killed thousands of people in both countries.
DAESH controls most of Deir Ezzor Province and much of the capital as the regime controls several districts in the northern part of the city and the adjacent military airport. Most of the causualties occured in the area of Baghaliyeh near the city.
A Lebanon-based television, also close to the Syrian regime, reported a massacre and said DAESH killed dozens of peope, including women and children and threw their bodies in the Euphrates River. The media also added that the terrorists allegedly took more than 400 civilians hostage. However, the reports could not be independently confirmed.
A DAESH-affiliated news agency reported a large-scale multi-pronged attack on Deir Ezzor that started with a suicide bombing. The agency said the group expanded its control of areas west and northwest of Deir Ezzor on Sunday adding that about 110 Syrian regime forces were killed and at least five others allegedly captured. It also said that DAESH seized control of Baghaliyeh and surrounding areas during the fighting.
SOHR reports 400 civilians kidnapped
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said on Sunday that DAESH terrorists allegedly kidnapped at least 400 civilians as they attacked regime-held areas in the eastern Syrian city of Deir Ezzor on Saturday.
SOHR said that families of regime forces were among those kidnapped.
"There is genuine fear for their lives, there is a fear that the group might execute them as it has done before in other areas," the group’s head Rami Abdulrahamn said.
DAESH has previously carried out mass killings following military assaults in Iraq and Syria, including of 200 soldiers seized from the Tabqa airbase in Raqqa province and hundreds of members of the al Sheitat tribe in Deir Ezzor in 2014.
The terrorist group, controlling most of Deir Ezzor Province, has laid siege since March on remaining regime-held areas in the city of Deir Ezzor.
Residents are suffering from food shortages and sharply worsening conditions. Seventy percent of those under siege in the city are women and children. Many of them have been displaced from their homes elsewhere and are now living in temporary shelters.