Bashar al Assad regime and its ally Hezbollah militia continue to besiege Syria’s Madaya despite allowing humanitarian aids, after international pressure last week, to reach the area where thousands are starving.
The town of Madaya remains a strategic flashpoint amid the ongoing civil war in the country.
Local officials have reported that, hundreds of patients are still struggling to stay alive, as no evacuation of victims is near.
Promises made by the UN and the Red Crescent to transfer more than 300 victims to specialised hospitals in Damascus were not fulfilled, local officials say.
Mohammed Yousef, a doctor at Madaya’s medical centre, told Anadolu Agency that a 50-year-old man and a young child died on Wednesday due to malnutrition.
“The number of cases that the centre receives only decreased by 10 percent,” Yousef said, citing that most sicknesses stem from malnutrition. “The patients do not need food now. They need medication, because their bodies are not able to digest food.”
A “slow death” continues to take the lives of thousands of residents, Yousef said.
He also added that aid supplies that were allowed into Madaya were just enough for 10 to 15 days, which contradicts the UN statements that aid was sufficient for the affected victims.
Seven people died due to malnutrition since the aid convoy reached the town according to Madaya-based Dr. Khaled Mohamed who spoke to Anadolu Agency.
The UN chief stated that some 400,000 civilians were besieged in 15 sieges across Syria - about half of whom are located in DAESH-controlled territory, nearly 180,000 in areas held by the Assad regime and about 12,000 in opposition-held areas.
The Syrian conflict, which will enter its fifth year in early 2016, has left more than 260,000 people dead and made the country the world's greatest source of refugees and displaced persons, according to the UN.
Over eight million Syrians are internally displaced and more than 4.6 million have fled the country since the conflict started.