Syrian towns on verge of humanitarian crisis

At least 13 Syrian towns under siege by Assad regime are now facing starvation

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Residents who say they have received permission from the Syrian regime to leave the besieged town wait to depart after an aid convoy entered Madaya, Syria January 11, 2016

Updated Jan 14, 2016

Local sources cited by Turkey's Anadolu Agency say that at least 13 Syrian towns and villages under siege by Bashar al Assad's Syrian regime are now facing starvation.

Jayrud, Rabayah

Jayrud and Rabayah, situated in eastern Damascus, have remained under a regime-imposed blockade since April 2013. Both towns face frequent attacks by both the DAESH terrorist group and the Assad regime.

85 percent of the recent deaths in the town have been caused by regime forces and DAESH attacks according to Abu Kamal, a local opposition commander, Anadolu Agency reported.

Al Dumayr, a city located northeast of Damascus, also remains under a regime-imposed blockade.

Eastern Ghouta, Al-Tall

A regime-imposed siege in the Eastern Ghouta region, east of Damascus, has been in effect since December 2012, siege is depriving the region of electricity, water supplies and delivery of humanitarian aid.

Regime air strikes have been the cause of 40 percent of the casualties in Eastern Ghouta’s Douma area with the rest being blamed on malnutrition, 1600 local residents have recently died, a local coordination committee said.

In August 2013 the region was attacked with sarin gas causing some 1,300 deaths amongst local residents.

A city located west of Eastern Ghouta, Al Tall, is also under a regime imposed siege since June 2015.

Yarmouk Camp, Darayya, Muadamiyat al-Sham, Kanaker

Since December 2012, the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp has also been blockaded by the regime. DAESH has surrounded the south of the camp, leading inhabitants to migrate to Hama, Idlib, Aleppo or Turkey’s Hatay province.

Since the Syrian conflict began in 2011, more than 1,000 civilians have been killed in the camp.

Darayya, a city on the southern outskirts of Damascus, has also remained under a regime-imposed blockade since late 2012.  In approximately three years, over 2,200 residents died as a result of the siege and regime attacks.

Anadolu Agency cited that local sources say around 1,000 barrel bombs have been dropped on the region by the Assad regime.

Some 40,000 civilians have remained under siege for the last 15 days in the town of Muadamiyat al Sham in the southwestern region of Damascus.

Residents say child mortality has skyrocketed due to widespread malnutrition and food not being allowed to enter the town.

Located southwest of Damascus, the village of Kanaker has also remained under siege since March 2015.

Al Waer, Houla, Talbiseh, Al-Rastan

A central district in Syria’s Homs province, Al Waer, also remains under a regime-imposed blockade.

Some 150 people died of malnutrition and lack of medical treatment during the siege of Homs from 2011 to 2015, which ended with the region being handed over to the Assad regime.

Some areas of Al Waer are still under siege, according to the Homs Coordination Centre, as cited by Anadolu Agency.

For the last three years, Houla, Talbiseh and Al Rastan regions in northern Homs have all been under siege.


Some 400 people in the town of Madaya are in a “very critical situation”, was recently quoted to the UN Humanitarian Affairs Chief Stephen O-Brien by Spanish Ambassador to the UN Roman Oyarzun Marchesi.

Madaya’s 42,000 residents who were starving to death received a humanitarian aid convoy carrying food and medical supplies.

According to a report issued by Madaya’s local health committee last month, 23 people, including 6 children, died of starvation in the town.

The US ambassador to the UN, Samantha Power in a recent statement said "The humanitarian crisis in Madaya is one more sign of the Assad regime’s brutality, blocking aid in order to starve civilians is grotesque, and one more reason why Assad’s supporters should recognise that he has lost legitimacy."

More than 250,000 people died as a result of the ongoing conflict in Syria, which will enter its sixth year in early 2016, turning the country into the world’s largest source of refugees and displaced persons, according to the UN.

Since the start of the conflict, nearly 8 million people have been internally displayed with more than 4 million having fled to neighbouring countries.

TRTWorld, AA