Three suicide bombings in Nigeria claim 17 lives

Boko Haram linked suicide bombings in northeastern Nigeria kills 17 people

Photo by: AP
Photo by: AP

At least 17 people were killed in three suicide bombings linked to Boko-Haram in northeastern Nigeria on Tuesday, according to Nigerian security officials.

Seven people were killed and 11 were wounded in three suicide bombings executed in the capital of Borno state, Maiduguri, the Army spokesman Sani Usman said on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Nigerian troops have seized weapons and killed at least 10 Boko Haram militants on Tuesday in an ambush in the neighbouring Yobe state, Sani informed.

"They were ambushed while returning from an attack on Gajiram near Ngollom village," said the spokesman. He added that various weapons were seized from the militants.

Boko Haram has been fighting a six-year insurgency and is responsible for the deaths of over 60,000 civilians and security personnel, according to Amnesty International estimates. They have forced more than 1.5 million people to flee their homes, in a bid to establish a state of their own in northern Nigeria.

More than 600 people have been killed in Nigeria alone, since President Muhammadu Buhari's inauguration at the end of May.

Nigeria’s new president Buhari vowed to eliminate Boko Haram after he was sworn in at the end of May. He had flown to the United States to meet with President Barack Obama to ask for increased US military assistance for fighting the militant group.

Boko Haram - which has announced its allegiance to ISIS - occupied an area the size of Belgium in Nigeria last year.

Nigeria’s former President, Goodluck Jonathan was accused of dithering and incompetence in containing the armed insurgency.

Nigeria, alongside its military coalition partners of Niger, Chad and Cameroon has claimed success in fighting Boko Haram since February, forcing the group’s fighters out of the territory they used to control.

TRTWorld and agencies