A senior UN official in Mali on Thursday stated that he would resign from his duty following difficulties of peace negotiations and security challenges in the northern part of Mali.
The 10,000 MINUSMA peacekeeping mission force suffered a severe loss of its peacekeeping task due to the frequent target of attacks by desert militants after being driven out of key northern towns by French troops.
The UN top official Mongi Hamdi would be replaced by Chad’s former Foreign minister and former head of the African Union Mission in Somalia Mahamat Saleh Annadif in January, according to media sources.
"There were certain expectations of him [Hamdi] and it's not clear that he met them," according to anonymous source.
Hamdi also told Reuters that, "Implementation is happening and it is the common responsibility of everyone, including the Malian government ... We cannot do it for them."
He added that, it was unfair to blame MINUSMA for deteriorating security connected to militants, since its responsibility was to keep peace rather than enforce it.
Hamdi has been praised by officials particularly for his skill in the signing of a long-awaited peace deal between rival northern armed groups and the Malian government in June. However, they said that he has since then strived to implement it and improve overall security.
MINUSMA does not have an anti-terror mandate, though it can raid on any potential militant capable of posing threat to peace in the country.
Last Month, militants launched an attack on a luxury hotel in the capital city, Bamako and killed at least 20 people with foreigners among the victims. Earlier this month, three people were killed during a rocket attack at the town of Gao.