Three members of the Egyptian soldiers were killed in attacks by ISIS on two military checkpoints in the northern Sinai region, according to security sources.
Military spokesman said three soldiers were killed and four others injured after the fall of a shell in the vicinity of the checkpoint in the Sheikh Zuwaid area.
An ISIS ally in Egypt, Wilayet Sinai (Sinai Province) claimed responsibility for the attacks on their twitter account.
Both of the attacked checkpoints were subjected to major assaults on July 1. During the attacks, over 100 people died, including at least 17 soldiers. Officials from several branches of Egypt's security forces previously told The Associated Press that the attack killed dozens more.
The militant group previously known as "Ansar Beit al Maqdis" announced its loyalty to ISIS and its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in November, 2014 .
The army announced earlier Saturday on it’s official facebook page that the armed forces have launched operations in El-Arish and Sheikh Zuid in northern Sinai, killing "14 elements of terrorism."
This group, which follows the track of ISIS, has adopted the most powerful attacks against the army and police.
The attack came two days after ISIS’ first naval attack on an Egyptian military vessel near the port of Rafah, which led to the destruction of the vessel and killing its entire crew.
Activists have frequently accused the Egyptian army of killing civilians in northern Sinai during air strikes in the region over the past two years, fighting the armed insurgency.
Sinai has been engulfed in unprecedented violence since the overthrow of deposed president Mohamed Morsi, who belongs to the Muslim Brotherhood movement, in July 2013.