UN spokesperson Vannina Maestracci said on Tuesday that the investigations on the sexual abuse of an underage girl and murder of two people in Bangui, Central African Republic (CAR) are ongoing.
She announced that the “information gathered by the Human Rights and Child Protection sections, and the Police of the UN Mission, has been handed to the internal oversight body of the United Nations or OIOS.”
On Aug. 11, the London-based NGO Amnesty International had accused the UN peacekeepers of raping an underage girl on Aug. 2, and killing a boy and his father the next day via indiscriminate shooting in the Bangui operation.
The girl is 12 years old, the boy was 16 and his father was 61. The father was reportedly shot in the back, and his son in the chest. The UN police peacekeepers in the operation were from Rwanda and Cameroon.
The UN peacekeepers went to Bangui since September 2014 after the emergence of the conflicts between Muslim and Christian groups following the coup in 2013.
Earlier in April, another sexual allegation against the peacekeepers was revealed. French soldiers were accused of raping 10 underage boys, the youngest of whom being 8-year-old, as they asked for food last year.
The UN Human Rights advisers in the CAR were accused of lingering the child abuse claims for almost a year.
In June the UN began probing the claims of its peacekeepers sexually abusing children. The UN cannot itself punish peacekeeper soldiers and rights groups complain that countries rarely take action.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had told last week that countries often “drag their feet and in some cases, nothing is done at all.”