UN watchdog: Syrian chemical weapons disposal completed

OPCW says it completed disposal of Syria’s chemical stockpile

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Updated Jul 28, 2015

World’s chemical weapons watchdog has said waste on a US ship created by toxic chemicals from Syria’s stockpile have been disposed of.

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) announced in a statement on Wednesday the disposal of thousands of tons of waste from Syria’s stockpile was completed earlier this month and the body welcomed “neutralisation operations aboard the US vessel Cape Ray.”

The OPCW chief Ahmet Uzumcu said the disposal is “yet another milestone on the path to eliminating chemical weapons stocks from Syria."

1,300 tonnes of chemical weapons have been removed from Syria to be destroyed in the United States and Germany.

Germany disposed on Friday 335 metric tonnes of sulphur mustard waste.

On Aug. 21, 2013, a sarin gas attack killed hundreds of civilians in a Damascus suburb, Ghouta.

Clashing forces in Syria’s civil war blamed each other for the Ghouta attack.

While Western governments including the Unites States blame Syrian President Bashar al Assad, Iran and Russia say rebel forces carried out the attack.

Syria joined the OPCW after the United States threatened to use military force against Damascus.

More than 220,000 people have been killed in Syria since the civil war started in 2011 between the Assad regime and opposition forces following the Arab Spring movement that swept a number of countries in the Middle East and North Africa.

TRTWorld and agencies