US calls for ‘Ramadan truce’ in Yemen

US urges for a Ramadan truce in Yemen, given the dire humanitarian state country dwells in

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

The United States called for a humanitarian truce in Yemen during the month of Ramadan while clashes continue between Iranian backed Houthis militias and the Saudi-led Arab coalition.

The US State Department said in a statement that a truce should be enforced to allow relief organisations to deliver desperately needed aid, food, medicines and fuel needed by Yemenis.

The call comes one day after the United Nations declared a humanitarian emergency in Yemen, and warned of an imminent collapse of the health system.

Around 20 million Yemenis suffer from a lack of water and a million people were displaced from their homes as a result of the armed conflict.

Most Yemeni ports are inaccessible and cannot receive relief supplies. However, the international Red Cross said that a ship carrying tons of food and three large electric generators docked in the port of Hodeida on Wednesday.

In conjunction with the American call for a cease-fire, a number of people were reportedly killed and wounded in the capital of Sanaa and the southern city of Aden.

The Saudi-led coalition launched fresh air strikes on Houthi targets in Sanaa, while clashes continued in Aden between Houthis and government forces.

The Houthis took control of the Yemeni capital last September, before expanding control over more territory in the country.

A Saudi-led coalition began an extensive air campaign targeting Houthi-held cities across Yemen on March 26 to allow president Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi and his government - who are in self imposed exile in Riyadh - to return to the capital.

Neither side is willing to compromise, leading to the collapse of the UN sponsored talks last week.

TRTWorld and agencies