ISIS was driven out of Kobane on Saturday for the second time by the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), who regained total control of the town, a human rights monitor has reported.
The founder of the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdulrahman, said that clashes between YPG and ISIS fighters are still ongoing in the south of Kobane.
YPG also took full control of the “Mashta Al Noor” hospital in Kobane near the suburbs of Aleppo, an Al Jazeera correspondent reported.
ISIS entered Kobane on Thursday, after having first abandoned the city several months ago.
The death toll from the second attack by ISIS militants on Kobane reached 200 - the second largest number of killings in one attack the militant group has carried out in Syria, after the devastating massacre of hundreds of members of the Sunni Muslim Sheitaat tribe in eastern Syria last year.
— Jack Shahine (@jackshahine) June 25, 2015
Thursday car bombing by ISIS insurgents disguised as YPG and Free Syrian Army fighters, left a dozen people dead and wounded in the Syrian border town.
Following the explosion, Turkey’s pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (HDP) co-chair Figen Yuksekdag accused the Turkish government of supporting ISIS militants and claimed that the ISIS militants who carried out the bombing passed through Turkey’s borders.
However, Yuksekdag has not provided any evidence of Turkey’s alleged support for ISIS.
Spokesman Redur Xelil of the military wing of the Syrian Democratic Union Party (PYD), the People’s Protection Units (YPG), l said on Thursday that the ISIS militants did not enter Kobane from the northern Turkish border gate. Rather, he reported that the militants who carried out the car bombings entered the city through the south and the west of Syria.
The YPG is the Syrian branch of the outlawed PKK, an armed group recognised by the US, EU and Turkey as a terrorist organisation.