Turkish football player Mehmet Topal has escaped injury on Tuesday after unidentified individuals fired shots at his car in Istanbul, his football club Fenerbahce stated.
The armed attack occurred in Samandira district during the afternoon when the 29-year-old defensive midfielder was returning home from morning training, according to the club.
“Our player has luckily escaped injury thanks to his car’s bullet resistant feature,” a written statement released on the website of the club said.
Fenerbahce was victim of another attack on its bus on April 4, which left the driver injured.
The bus came under attack while it was travelling on the Rize-Trabzon highway on the eastern Black Sea coast of Turkey after a game against Caykur Rizespor in Rize.
“We condemn these back-to-back attacks regretfully,” the club said, which termed the incident as a “terror act”.
The club asked that light be shed on both attacks as soon as possible.
On April 8, two people, who had been taken into custody over the armed attack on the Fenerbahce bus, were released due to lack of evidence.