12 still hospitalised after Ankara attack

Turkey’s Ministry of Health says 12 people are still hospitalised after Ankara attack, five of them are in intensive care

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Health personnel wait outside the emergency section of the Numune hospital after an explosion which hit military-owned vehicles in central Ankara killed least 28 people in Ankara, Turkey on February 17, 2016.

Turkey’s Ministry of Health announced on Friday that a total of 12 people wounded in Ankara terror attack are still in hospitals across the capital.

"The wounded under treatment at hospitals include five in intensive care units," ministry officials said in a statement.

The heart of the Turkish capital was rocked by a blast Wednesday evening when PKK-affiliated terrorists exploded a car bomb near military vehicles carrying personnel, killing at least 28 people.

Twenty of the dead were Turkish soldiers, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Thursday.

The deadly blast occurred during the evening rush hour on Merasim Street, which connects Dikmen Street to Inonu Boulevard, which is close to the Turkish General Staff and parliament buildings.

The Health Ministry announced Thursday that a total of 81 people had been wounded in the Ankara attack.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu revealed Thursday that the attack was carried out jointly by a Syrian-national YPG terrorists and PKK terrorists based in Turkey.

YPG is the armed wing of PYD, which is the Syrian branch of the terrorist PKK group.

According to sources from the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, a total of 17 suspects have been detained as of early Friday during simultaneous operations ongoing in seven provinces -- Istanbul, Adana, Bolu, Tekirdag, Izmir, Ankara and Diyarbakir -- across the country as part of the investigation into the terror attack.

Police continue to search for one other suspect.

After attending a ceremony at Ankara's military hospital GATA, Davutoglu -- with Interior Minister Efkan Ala and National Defence Minister Ismet Yilmaz -- laid a total of 28 carnations at the blast site on Merasim Street on Friday in memory of 28 people killed in the attack.

TRTWorld, AA