14 suspects sent to prison over Diyarbakir incidents

14 suspects out of 18 tried by court were sent to prison over incidents in Diyarbakir that killed four people

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

A Diyarbakir court held 14 out of 18 suspects on trial over incidents in Diyarbakir that started with the killing of a local NGO head and resulted in death of three others, sending them to prison on Saturday.

Clashes that erupted in Turkey's eastern province of Diyarbakir on June 9 after the killing of the head of an association affiliated with the conservative Kurdish Free Cause Party (Huda-Par) on same day, led to the killing of three more citizens while four others were injured including journalists and a policeman.

Huda-Par member Aytac Baran, the president of the Muslim NGO organisation Yeni Ihya-Der, was killed in an armed attack in the early hours of the day near his home by unknown assailants.

Within the scope of the investigation related to the incidents, a total of 22 suspects were detained, four of which were released after questioning on late Saturday.

The trial held by a court on duty ruled to send 14 of the suspects to prison for involvement in the incidents. One of the suspects imprisoned was reported to be under the age of 18.

Baran’s lawyer Abdulgani Orhan spoke to the press after his client's death  saying that the police had earlier notified Baran over a possible armed attack being planned against him by the outlawed PKK youth wing - the Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H).

On June 10, Baran was buried in a grave near that of his student, Yasin Boru, a 16-year-old boy who was one those killed by YDG-H in the southeast of Turkey in October of last year.

The events of Oct. 6-7 took place after the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) called its supporters to take it to the streets in support of the Syrian city of Kobane which was besieged by ISIS.

The rally soon developed into attacks on the members of the conservative Huda-Par by the YDG-H. This led to the deaths of over 40 people, including the brutal killings of four young men, Yasin Boru, Hakan Gokgoz, Riyat Gunes and Huseyin Dakak.

Meanwhile, the delegation of NGOs visited the Huda-Par on the day of funeral to encourage common sense and calm tensions.

A funeral for the three victims who died after Baran was killed was held on June 11 with the participation of deputies and members of the HDP, under the flags of the PKK.

TRTWorld and agencies