3 security officials die, 13 injured in PKK terror attack

PKK terrorists claim lives of three security officers, injure 13 others in southeastern Sirnak, Diyarbakir provinces

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jan 4, 2016

Three members of Turkish security forces died and 13 soldiers have been injured in two terror attacks by PKK in the country’s southeast on Friday, officials said.

In Diyarbakir, the region’s largest city, two police officers died in a bomb attack by PKK terrorists in Sur, a district that has been under curfew since Dec. 2, the provincial governor’s office said in a statement.

Following the incident, Turkish Army launched an operation in Sur against the PKK terrorists who injured 13 soldiers during the operations. 

In Cizre, a town close to the Syrian border in Sirnak province, a soldier died and four others were injured in a rocket attack, the Turkish General Staff said in a statement.

PKK attack targeted Turkish troops conducting an anti-terror operation to remove barriers erected by the PKK in the town, which is also under a security curfew.

The four injured troops are not in a critical condition and are receiving treatment.

The PKK, considered a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US and EU, resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in late July.

Since Dec. 15, when security forces stepped up operations against the PKK in the southeastern towns and cities, 240 terrorists have been killed, the military said on Friday.

Since a fragile two-year peace period ended in the summer, more than 200 security force members have died in terror attacks by PKK. On Thursday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said 3,100 PKK members had been killed in Turkey and northern Iraq over the previous year.


TRTWorld, AA