54 suspects detained over police murders in Turkey

Total of 54 suspects detained over assassinations of police officers in Sanliurfa, Diyarbakir

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 30, 2015

A total of 54 suspects were taken into police custody on Friday in Sanliurfa and Diyarbakir regarding the assassinations of two Turkish police officers in the Ceylanpinar district of the southeastern province of Sanliurfa and an attack on two police officers in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir.

Turkey’s prime minister Ahmet Davutoglu announced the total number of suspects in a press statement.

Davutoglu reported that 35 suspects were detained regarding the assassination of two police officers in the Ceylanpinar district and that 19 suspects were detained over the attack in the Diyarbakir province.

"We will punish whoever had a role in the murder of Turkish officers in a flagrant way, this is our responsibility against the families of the martyrs and our country” Davutoglu emphasized.

Previously on Friday, it was reported that the the investigation into the into the deaths of two police officers, Feyyaz Yumusak and Okan Acar who were assassinated in their shared home in Sanliurfa on Wednesday is ongoing under the jurisdiction of the Sanliurfa Counter Terrorism Center’s task force.

The taskforces from the Counter Terrorism Center announced they detained three more individuals on Friday following the initial three arrests made on Thursday.

Police officials reported that the three individuals’ testimonial procedures had begun after they were brought to Sanlıurfa.

Meanwhile, the Governor of the Diyarbakir province, Huseyin Aksoy, announced that 17 suspects were taken into custody over the attack on two traffic police officers: Tansu Aydin and Ali Karahan on July 23.

On Thursday, two Turkish traffic police officers were attacked by an unidentified masked gunmen in the Sehitlik District of Diyarbakir.  

Tansu Aydin was killed in the attack and Ali Karahan undergoes treatment in a hospital in a local.

Speaking at the funeral procession for Tansu Aydin on Friday, Aksoy condemned the attack and ensured that the investigation will be carried out in full scale.

Turkey has faced increased acts of violence since a suicide bombing attack in Suruc which is believed to have been carried out by a member of ISIS on Monday, July 20 which left where 32 people dead.

The armed unit of the outlawed PKK, the People’s Defence Forces (HPG) claimed that it killed the two police officers in the Diyarbakir as revenge for the Suruc attack.

The youth youth wing of the PKK, the Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H), killed Ethem Turkben, a civilian working in an aid foundation.  He was murdered on Wednesday in his own house.

The PKK is listed as terrorist organisation by Turkey as well as the US and EU.


TRTWorld and agencies