Ankara bombing suspect revealed to have links with ISIS

One of nine suspects of Ankara suicide bombing is revealed to have links with ISIS

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

The scene of the deadly bombing that killed 102 people in Turkeys capital of Ankara on October 10, 2015.

One of the nine suspects, for whom an arrest warrant had been issued following the Ankara suicide bombing, was revealed on Wednesday to have links with ISIS, using the code name “Ebu Ali."

According to security sources, police issued arrest warrants for nine suspects following the twin suicide bombings that killed 102 people and injured 500 in Turkey’s capital of Ankara on Oct 10.

The bombings targeted a “peace” march, which was organised by leftist labor unions.

The suspect Y.D. has been identified as the so-called “Antep Commander” of ISIS and was in charge of Turkey’s southeastern province of Gaziantep.

The police also found out that Y.D. owns a self storage unit in Gaziantep, upon a search of the unit, six AK-47 Kalashnikov machine guns, one gun with a silencer, 22 F1-type hand grenades, 1,683 bullets from various sizes and brands and 8 detonators were seized by security officers during an anti-terror operation.

Meanwhile, another suspect H.I.D owns four different self storage units in Turkey’s Gaziantep.

Suspect who helped the bombers arrested

Individual named M.B. was released after he helped reveal the identity of a suspect who allegedly helped the Ankara suicide bombers carry out their deadly attack. 

Detained after the bombing, M.B. told the police that he has no connections with the individual named Y.S. and only rented his storage unit to him, later it was revealed Y.S. had stocked ammonium nitrate and other explosive materials, which are used in bomb making in the storage unit.

“Y.S. told me that he will be storing construction materials in my storeroom. That’s why i rented it out. I saw the boxes but did not suspect anything because I thought they were construction materials,” said M.B in his statement to the police.

During his testimony, M.B. also said that he saw the suspect, Y.S. in the courthouse, wearing a red shirt and shoes with the same color.

Following the statement, police found the person who matched the description given by M.B. and later identified the person as Y.S.

Brought to court, Y.S. was sent to prison while M.B. was released after giving his statement.

Meanwhile, The Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office on Monday revealed one of the suspects identity as Yunus Emre Alagoz, the brother of the Suruc suicide bomber.

In a written statement, the prosecutor’s office also said that a large amount of ammunition was seized in the southeastern province of Gaziantep, during raids targeting the homes of the suspects.

Photos of the ammunition and several weapons found in the raid have been published, along with the photo of the two suicide bombers near Ankara's main train station before carrying out the deadly attack in Turkey’s capital.

Turkish Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu said earlier on Monday that investigators were also examining "links" between the Ankara and Suruc bombings, referring to the July 20 bombing that killed 33 people in the southeastern Diyarbakir Province. 

TRTWorld, AA