A car bomb has exploded in Ankara, Turkey, killing at least 37 people and injuring 125, announced the Turkish Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu.
The terror attack took place at Kizilay district near Guvenpark, which adjoins a major transportation hub of bus and minibus stops, and the central metro station at 6:45 pm local time (1645 GMT) on Sunday.
Speaking on Monday morning, Muezzinoglu stated that 71 people are still receiving medical treatment in different hospitals in Ankara. "15 of them are in critical condition," he added.
Muezzinoglu also said one or two of the people who died at the scene of the attack are most likely to be the suicide bombers.
Security forces cleared the area in case there was a second blast, and set up a secure perimeter. Ambulances rushed to the area to help the injured and took them to nearby hospitals, said the officials.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu held a security meeting to assess the situation after the blast. Following the meeting, Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala said investigation to find the group responsible for the attack continues and the authorities will give more information once the investigation is completed.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke with Interior Minister Efkan Ala over the phone, who briefed him on the incident shortly after the explosion.
President Erdogan condemned the attack in a statement, saying, “Our people should not be concerned, terror will be brought to its knees. Our state will not refrain from defending itself against any kind of terrorist threat. All state institutions will collaborate with the community to fight against and absolutely bring terror to an end.”
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu also condemned the attack and stated that concrete information had been obtained.
"I condemn these conscience deprived killers on behalf of my nation. This attack has targeted our tranquillity and unity." he said.
“Looking into the data and evidence immediately obtained, combined with the analysis of intelligence services, we have derived concrete information on the terrorist group behind the heinous attack,” he added.
On Feb. 17, a suicide car bomb blasted in Ankara killing 29 people and wounding 81 others. TAK, an affiliate of the PKK terrorist group had claimed responsibility for the attack.
February's deadly blast occurred during the evening rush hour on Merasim Street, which connects Dikmen Street to Inonu Boulevard and is close to the Turkish General Staff and parliament buildings.