Car bomb attack targets police station in Istanbul

Terror attack targets police station in Istanbul’s Sultanbeyli district, killing one police chief, injuring two police officers and seven civilians

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Aug 11, 2015

Three police officers and seven civilians were wounded in a bomb attack was on a police station early on Monday in Sultanbeyli, one of Istanbul’s sub-districts, according to a written statement from the Istanbul Police Headquarters.

"One deputy police chief, two police officers and seven people were slightly injured in an attack with a bomb-laden vehicle on the Fatih Police Station in Sultanbeyli district at 01.00 a.m. [2200GMT, on Sunday]," the Istanbul Police department announced.

The attack caused a fire that collapsed part of the building.

The injured were immediately taken to Sultanbeyli state hospital, while firefighters put out the fire in the building.

Despite increased security, shots were then fired at the police station at around 06.45 am (0345GMT) on Monday, security officials said.

Two militants who attacked the security forces protecting the police station, were killed in retaliatory fire.

Police are trying to establish the identities of the killed assailants.

Meanwhile, Istanbul Police Department Bomb Disposal and Investigation Branch Manager Beyazit Ceken, who was heavily injured in the gunfight, died later at the hospital, according to security sources. 

Depending on the police reports, Anadolu Agency confirmed that the attack was carried out by PKK terrorists.

Anadolu Agency stated that the militants were identified by security forces, but their identities will be kept confidential until the investigation is over.

PKK is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, NATO, US and EU.

PKK is an armed militant group that has been carrying out terror attacks mostly in southeast Turkey, since the early 1980s.

The miltiant group has claimed more than 40,000 lives during 30 years of armed conflict with the Turkish government.

In early 2013, Turkey launched a ‘Peace Process’ to end years of armed conflict wıth the PKK and build reforms regarding the constitution. However, PKK decided to end the ceasefire on July 11, 2015 using the construction of dams in southeastern Turkey as an excuse.


TRTWorld, AA