Davutoglu recalls Turkey first to label ISIS as terrorist

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu reminds that Turkey recognised ISIS as terror organization before all

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Thursday recalled the fact that Turkey is the first country which designated ISIS as a terrorist organization and refuted the allegations which claimed Turkey had involvement Thursday's Kobane attacks.

Speaking at an iftar (fast-breaking) dinner with Justice and Development Party -or AK Party- deputies in Ankara, Davutoglu said “Turkey has revealed a very clear attitude towards the ISIS terrorist organization and all these claims amount to is only slander.”

“We have never supported a terrorist organization, helped a tyrant that oppress victims; we have no share in any bloodshed.”

Davutoğlu also criticised the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party, or HDP, co-chair Figen Yuksekdag for her statement on Kobane, in which she uttered her suspicion about Turkey’s stance against ISIS.

Speaking at a press conference regarding the ISIS attacks Yuksekdag said on Thursday that “the Turkish government must prove that it is not involved in the attacks, if it fails to do so, this would prove the truth of the accusations.”

As response to Yuksekdag’s remarks, Davutoglu said “We cannot prove something which does not exist. Turkey has proved its stance against ISIS in the first place, we are the first country that designated ISIS as a terrorist organization. I call on Yuksekdag and others to offer an apology for their accusations."

Meanwhile, during a television interview on Thursday evening, the HDP’s other co-chair Selahattin Demirtas said that he would like to believe with all his heart that “ISIS militants did not enter Kobane from Turkey” and that the Turkish government had “cut its support for ISIS.”

“The AK Party should give up its pro-ISIS image” Demirtas also added.

On the other hand, the United States accepted Turkey's denial regarding allegations about ISIS militants passing through Turkish border in order to attack Kobane.

Asked about claims at a press conference, State Department spokesman John Kirby said "I would just point you to what the Turkish foreign ministry said about infiltration. They've denied that there was any complicity in that. I mean, we have no reason not to believe them in that regard."

Emphasising Turkey’s support to the US-led coalition, Kirby said “we acknowledge Turkey as a very important partner in the effort against ISIS.”

At least 35 people were killed and 130 others wounded when ISIS militants attacked Syrian border town of Kobane early on Thursday.

ISIS militants carried out the attack with two bomb-laden vehicles while disguised as Kurdish fighters, the officials reported.


Following the explosion, the Turkish government was accused of supporting ISIS militants by allowing them passage through Turkey’s Mursitpinar border gate.

Security camera footage from Turkey’s Mursitpinar border gates - showing the moment of the car involved in the bombing of the Syrian border town of Kobane - revealed that the ISIS militants who blown up the cars did not arrive from Turkey’s borders.

The military wing of the Syrian Democratic Union Party (PYD) spokesman Redur Halil said the ISIS militants did not enter Kobane from Turkish border gate in north, rather the militants carrying out car bombings entered the city through its south and the west of the country.

One of the biggest battles against ISIS took place in Kobane last year. Supported by the US-led anti-ISIS coalition, Syrian-Kurdish fighters from the YPG – the military wing of the Syrian Democratic Union Party reinforced by Peshmerga forces from the Kurdish Regional Government of Iraq – regained control over Kobane near the end of January after four months of fighting.

ISIS’ loss of Kobane was seen as a significant defeat considering the amount of extensive military resources they invested to capture the isolated town on the border with Turkey.

TRTWorld and agencies