Davutoglu says Istanbul blast carried out by DAESH terrorist

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu states that recent Sultanahmet suicide attack has been carried out by Syrian DAESH terrorist

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Ambulances gather around Sultanahmet tourist district after an explosion in Istanbul, Turkey on Jan. 12, 2016

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has announced that a DAESH terrorist who has a foreign nationality is responsible for the suicide bombing in Istanbul's Sultanahmet Square on Tuesday which killed 10 people and wounded 15

All of the victims have been foreign tourists visiting Turkey, Davutoglu has stated. 

He also noted that he called German Chancellor Angela Merkel following the incident in order to convey his condolences because most of the dead were German tourists. 

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu speaks to the press after he holds a meeting with the representatives of Alevi Culture Associations at Prime Ministry Cankaya Palace in Ankara on Jan. 12, 2016.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan previously said that the suicide bomber is a Syrian national.

"I condemn the incident in Istanbul assessed to be a terror attack by a suicide bomber with Syrian origin," Erdogan said at a lunch for Turkish ambassadors in Ankara, in a speech broadcast live on television.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the Ambassador's Conference at the Presidential Complex in Ankara on Jan. 12, 2016

TRTWorld and agencies