Erdogan says inquiry shows PYD responsible for Ankara attack

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan states that Turkey’s initial investigation shows terrorist PKK’s Syrian extension PYD is responsible for Wednesday’s bloody Ankara attack despite its leadership's denial

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks to journalists following the Ankara bombing at the General Staff headquarters in Ankara on Feb. 18, 2016.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that interior minister's first findings indicate that terrorist PKK's Syrian affiliate PYD is responsible for the latest Ankara attack in the heart of the capital despite the group's denial.

Salih Muslim, who is the head of the PYD, has denied that his group carried out the attack in the Turkish capital of Ankara on Wednesday, saying it did not consider the Turkish state as an enemy. But Erdogan, speaking on live television, dismissed that on Thursday.

"Even though those who head the PYD and PKK say this has no connection with them, based on the information obtained by our interior minister and our intelligence agencies, it has been identified that this attack was carried out by them," he said.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu stated earlier that initial investigation has indicated the terrorist PKK’s Syrian extension YPG is behind the Wednesday’s bloody bombing.

The latest terror attack has reportedly targeted military vehicles carrying personnel working for the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) in the heart of the capital, killing at least 28 people and wounding 61 according to Turkish government.  

Davutoglu said that the suicide bomber has been identified as Salih Necar who is a Syrian national from Hasaka province and has YPG connections. 

YPG is the militant wing of the PYD which Turkey considers as the Syrian affiliate of the PKK. Turkey has long been confronted with armed attacks in its southeastern and eastern regions by the PKK, which is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US, and the EU.

Turkish prime minister informed that security forces have detained 9 suspects who allegedly have connections to the latest deadly attack. 

Erdogan indicated that the number of the detainees have increased to 14 and will increase. 

Davutoglu also announced that Turkish warplanes bombed camps belonging to the outlawed PKK in northern Iraq late on Wednesday, following the Ankara incident.

He said a group of 60-70 PKK terrorists, including high-level commanders, were killed during the air strikes which have targeted the Zap, Avasin and Haftanin camps.

Furthermore, Davutoglu stated that Turkey will continue to shell positions of the YPG in northern Syria.

The TAF started shelling YPG targets in northern Syria last weekend, after the group seized a strategically critical air base north of Aleppo.

TRTWorld and agencies