Four more suspects detained over Sultanahmet bomb attack

Turkish prime minister says four more suspects detained over Sultanahmet bomb attack, bringing total number to five

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu speaks at a press conference on January 13, 2016

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that four more suspects have been detained over the suicide attack in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Square by a DAESH terrorist which killed 10 and wounded 15 mostly foreign tourists on Tuesday.

Speaking at a press conference at Istanbul Governorate, Davutoglu said "Unfortunately we have lost 10 foreign tourists, and we had 15 people injured. Six of the injuries are still receiving treatment in our hospitals, the other ones have been discharged.”

He added that his country is ready to give citizenship to those who were injured.

Early on Wednesday, Turkish police revealed details about the suicide bomber who carried out the attack in the historic Sultanahmet district.

According to the security sources, the assault was carried out by Syrian citizen, Nabil Fadli, who was born in 1988 in Saudi Arabia and was not on the police's watch list.

The reports about Fadli indicated that he entered Turkey from Syria on Jan. 5, 2016.

Davutoglu stated that “secret actors are behind the attack” underlining that Turkish Security Forces pay efforts to reveal who are using DAESH as a “sub-conductor.”

"Foreign powers have obscuring stance against Turkey’s anti-DAESH efforts"

When he was asked whether Turkey plans retaliatory air strikes on DAESH, Davutoglu said that Ankara would act at a time and in a manner that would be suitable, pointing out that the Turkish military had targeted the terror organisation after the Suruc and Ankara bombings last year.

However, he said that "Certain foreign powers have an obstructing stance against Turkey's air strikes on DAESH targets" suggesting that Russia appears to be protecting the terror organisation within Syrian airspace.

"They shouldn't obstruct Turkey's fight against DAESH…They should either destroy DAESH themselves or allow us to do it.” said Davutoglu.

Turkish security forces intensified their ongoing anti-terror operations in the country on Tuesday as they raided an address in Istanbul's Sisli district, detaining a woman who is also suspected to have links with DAESH terror organisation.

In the same day, another three suspects who are Russian nationals were detained by Turkish police over suspected links with DAESH terrorist organisation in Turkey’s southern province of Antalya.

TRTWorld and agencies