France opposes any move to take the PKK off the European Union’s official list of terrorist organisations, a senior French diplomat said on Tuesday.
The reasons the PKK was named a terrorist group remain valid, so it will stay on the list, French Foreign Ministry spokesperson Romain Nadal said in a statement.
Commenting on a recent petition by Portuguese MEP Ana Gomes urging the PKK’s removal, Nadal said France's stand on the group “is clear and consistent.”
“France condemns the organisation's armed acts on Turkish soil since July 22,” he said, referring to the killing of two policemen last year in Sanliurfa, in Turkey’s southeast.
The southeast has been the scene of significant military operations since December against the PKK, designated as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US, and the EU, which renewed its armed campaign against the Turkish state in late July 2015.
Since then, more than 300 security forces personnel have been martyred and thousands of PKK terrorists killed in operations across Turkey and northern Iraq.
Most recently, a terror attack targeted military vehicles carrying personnel working for the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) in Turkey’s capital Ankara, killing at least 29 people and wounding 81 on Feb. 17.
The Turkish state announced that the PKK and its Syrian affiliate PYD is behind the Ankara attack.