Turkey’s southeastern Diyarbakir Governorate released a statement that said a 23-year-old militant from the outlawed PKK was caught with high-intensity explosives in his backpack by security forces on Monday.
Diyarbakir police force conducted a search upon being notified, the governorate said.
“The security units in the area stopped and searched a suspected individual with a backpack on Turgut Ozal Boulevard in Baglar district around 19:25 pm on June 15,” the Diyarbakir police headquarters said in a statement.
“During the search which was conducted in a secure environment considering the safety of people in the area, three high-intensity pipe bombs ready to explode were found in the backpack.”
The initial inquiry suggested that the seized bombs were to be used in possible attacks in social events and against state agencies and institutions.
“The suspect was taken to the anti-terrorism unit as the investigation was launched,” the governorate confirmed.
Four people were killed and 100 others were injured in Diyarbakir by two simultaneous blasts detonated by a mobile phone at a pre-election rally for the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) on June 5, just two days before Turkey’s elections.
After the June 7 elections, clashes erupted in Diyarbakir on June 9 after the killing of Aytac Baran, the head of an association affiliated with the conservative Kurdish Free Cause Party (Huda-Par) earlier on the same day.
The murder led to the killing of three more citizens while four others, including journalists and a policeman, were injured.
The court ruled to send 14 of the suspects to prison for involvement in the incidents. One of the suspects imprisoned was reported to be under the age of 18.
Baran’s lawyer Abdulgani Orhan spoke to the press after his client's death saying that the police had earlier notified Baran over a possible armed attack being planned against him by the outlawed PKK youth wing, the Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H).
The rivalry between Huda-Par and HDP has become more evident during the pre-election period.
YDG-H have previously attacked Huda-Par members, having claimed the killing of 40 people in the incidents of Oct. 6-7, 2013.