Officials reveal identity of one Ankara suicide bomber

Turkish officials reveal identity of one suicide bomber responsible for Ankara blasts as Yunus Emre Alagoz

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

The scene of the bombings in Ankara as seen after the terror attack took place on Oct.10.

The Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office said in a written statement on Monday that one suspect in the twin bombings in the Turkish capital was identified as Yunus Emre Alagoz, the brother of the Suruc suicide bomber.

The statement said that the second bomber was identified with the use of some photographs; however, investigations are still ongoing to confirm his identity.

Alagoz reportedly came to Ankara from either Iraq or Syria.

The twin suicide bombings, targeting a march in Ankara on Oct 10 which was organised by leftist labor unions, killed 102 people and injured 500 others.

According to the statement, a total number of 20 suspects who were considered as related to the terror attack were taken in for questioning while 11 of these were detained.

After further questioning, the court ordered the arrest of four suspects.

Police find ammunition in hideout of suspects

During investigations of the dwellings of the suspects, the police discovered a large amount of  ammunitions in a house in the southeastern province of Gaziantep.

The security forces seized a great quantity of ammonium nitrate and other explosive materials, which are used in bomb making.

The police also found several weapons and bullets during the operations.

In the meantime, the statement said that nine other suspects of the attack managed to escape as they were informed about the suspect list published in the press despite a media ban.

Accordingly, arrest warrants were issued for these nine suspects in absentia.

Investigations are continuing, officials added.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said earlier on Monday that the investigators were also examining "links" between the Ankara and Suruc blasts, referring to the July 20 bombing that killed 33 people in the southeastern Diyarbakir province. The Suruc attack targeted pro-Kurdish activists and has been blamed on ISIS.


TRTWorld and agencies