One civilian dies during PKK attacks in Turkey’s Diyarbakir

One civilian dies during PKK attacks to Turkish security officials in Turkey’s southeastern Diyarbakir Province

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

The clashes erupted when Turkish police came to Baglar district of Diyarbakir

A 40-year old civilian, Fahrettin Budak, died on Friday after he was caught in the crossfire between Turkish security officials and the outlawed PKK’s youth-wing, Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H), in Turkey’s southeastern Diyarbakir Province.

The fighting started when Turkish police came to Baglar District of Diyarbakir to fill ditches blocking the road. The ditches were dug by YDG-H members, according to Turkish media.

PKK terrorists attacked the police with automatic weapons. Following retaliatory fire by the police, the battle between the police and the militants began.

Budak, who was at the scene of the incident, was injured by the gunfire. Rushed to the hospital, Budak could not be saved despite medical intervention.

Police have launched an investigation into the incident.

According to Diyarbakir Police Headquarters, 88 out of 348 suspected PKK terrorists currently detained in the area were arrested in during the latest anti-terror operations across Turkey.

Police also said that at least 92 weapons, 102 hand-made explosives and 197 molotov cocktails were seized during the operations.

The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the EU, NATO and the US. It has been carrying out terror attacks, mostly in southeastern Turkey, since the early 1980s.

PKK terrorists have carried out several attacks against Turkish security forces since the Suruc suicide bombing in Turkey’s southeastern province of Sanliurfa on July 20, widely thought to have been carried out by ISIS.

At least 36 Turkish security officials have been killed in attacks by the PKK and ISIS since the bombing.

Attack on security forces in Mardin

Meanwhile, two police officers were injured while filling in another ditch thought to have been dug by PKK terrorists in the southeastern province of Mardin.

A remote-controlled explosive device planted in Nusaybin District of Mardin Province went off while the ditch was being filled in by security forces using heavy construction equipment on Friday.

The officers were taken to hospital and their injuries were not life threatening, the hospital said.

Two engineers injured in Hatay

Two engineers who work for the Turkey Electricity Transmission Company (TEIAS) were injured on Friday after stepping on mine planted by PKK terrorists in Turkey’s southern province of Hatay.

Notified about PKK attack on a power line in the Iskenderun District of Hatay, the two engineers went to the scene to repair the line, Hatay Governorate announced in a written statement.

“The injured engineers were taken to Iskenderun State Hospital and did not suffer life threatening injuries. Meanwhile, a detailed operation was launched in response to the incident,” the statement said.

The armed conflict between the outlawed PKK and Turkish government has claimed more than 40,000 lives in the past 30 years.

In early 2013 Turkey launched a peace process intended to end the armed conflict with the PKK and enact reforms to the country's constitution. However, the PKK decided to end the ceasefire on July 11, 2015, giving the construction of dams in southeastern Turkey as its reason.

TRTWorld, AA