One Turkish soldier killed by PKK terrorists in Diyarbakir

One Turkish soldier killed by PKK terrorists in countryside of Lice district of Diyarbakir after governorate declared curfew in district of southeastern region

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

One Turkish soldier has been killed and three wounded by PKK terrorists in Lice district of Diyarbakir

One Turkish soldier has been killed and three have been wounded by PKK terrorists in the countryside of the Lice district of Diyarbakir after the governorate has declared a curfew in the province of the southeastern region.

The curfew has been effective from 09:00pm to 07:00am, Turkish media has reported.

One village guard has also been killed and one has been wounded by the PKK terrorists in the Senkaya district of Erzurum which is located in eastern Turkey. The clash has been reported after the PKK members closed the Aksar-Gole highway of the province on Tuesday morning. 

One outlawed PKK member has been killed in clashes with Turkish security forces in the Silvan district of Diyarbakir in southeastern Turkey during a police operation which aimed to clear ditches and barricades set up by PKK’s youth wing, the Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H).

The operation has been executed after the Diyarbakir governorate has declared a curfew in the district which has been effective as of 01:00am on Tuesday midnight. During the operation, another outlawed YDG-H member was also wounded and captured by security forces.

The YDG-H members have dug ditches and set up barricades 10 days ago in the Selahattin, Tekel, and Mescit neighbourhoods of Silvan in order to prevent the entrance of security forces by closing the neighbourhoods.

They have reportedly been armed with rifles mining the barricades and performing identity check on the streets. Eventually, the group clashed with security forces who were assigned to remove the barricades.

The same group has previously also lowered the Turkish flag and raised a PKK flag at the Family Health Centre of the Tekel neighbourhood.  

Three days ago the district head of the Democratic Regions Party (DBP) accompanied by 300 party supporters has declared a so-called “autonomy” for the district.

Similar “autonomy” declarations have been issued in various districts including Varto, Yuksekova, Silopi, Cizre, and Nusaybin and provinces including Sirnak, Hakkari, Batman, and Diyarbakir in the southeastern and eastern Turkey.

Heavy clashes between security forces and the PKK terrorists have also been reported in the mentioned districts and cities.

Turkey has long been confronted with armed attacks in its southeastern regions by PKK, which was founded in 1974 by Abdullah Ocalan - the currently imprisoned leader of the militant organisation - and his supporters. Armed clashes and acts of violence have continued on and off for more than 30 years, and claimed more than 40,000 lives.

The YDG-H emerged in early 2013 in mostly Kurdish populated cities following the announcement of Turkey’s peace initiative called the “Resolution Process.”

In the beginning of 2013, Turkey announced a peace initiative aimed at resolving the conflict and PKK seemed responsive until mid-July 2015 under the instructions of its leader, Ocalan.

There have also been reports that the village guards and the PKK terrorists have clashed in the Aricak district of Elazig on Tuesday morning and the militants ran away to the mountainous terrain following the fight.   

In addition, the PKK terrorists have closed the Catak-Siirt highway kidnapping a village guard who has told his family that he will be released on Aug. 18, according to the reports. The Catak district is located in the province of Van.

The PKK terrorists have also attacked the Hizan district gendarmerie command and police department in the province of Bitlis by long-barreled weapons wounding a gendarmerie specialist corporal, the Turkish Military reported.

The militants have closed the Ovacik-Tunceli highway in eastern Turkey burning three vehicles, the reports added.  

Turkey has recently been targeted with increasing attacks by ISIS and PKK terrorist groups since a suicide bombing, widely thought to have been carried out by ISIS, in the Suruc district of Turkey’s southeastern Sanliurfa province claimed 34 lives on July 20.

PKK has particularly increased its attacks on both police and the Turkish Armed Forces following the Suruc suicide bombing. Forty-five Turkish security officials have been killed in militant attacks by PKK and ISIS since the bombing.   



TRTWorld and agencies