Outlawed PKK launches protests after ISIS bombing in Turkey

Tensions on streets rise as outlawed PKK members organise unauthorised demonstrations to protest ISIS bombing in Turkey’s Suruc

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 30, 2015

Members of the outlawed PKK headed to the streets after Monday’s deadly suicide bombing carried out by ISIS in the Suruc District of Turkey’s southeastern Sanliurfa province that killed 32 people, injuring more than 100 others.

The PKK is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and EU.

Eleven people including five police officers were injured on Wednesday evening during unauthorised demonstrations linked to Monday’s deadly Suruc bombing in Turkey’s southern province of Mersin.

A group of protesters closed a road and attacked police and their vehicles in the Tarsus district of Mersin. Police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the crowd of protesters.

A former member of the conservative Kurdish Free Cause Party (Huda-Par), Mehmet Ali Kutan, was among the injured.

Civilians became targets of the PKK and its affiliates following the Suruc bombing, which was allegedly carried out by ISIS.

A member of the Adana Kalem Foundation, Ethem Turkben, was murdered on Wednesday in his own house in Turkey’s southern province of Adana by the  PKK’s youth wing, the Patriotic Revolutionary Youth Movement (YDG-H).

According to Turkish media outlets, local residents reported that the YDH-H also organised attacks on buildings belonging to Islamic associations. Two members of the YDG-H are reported to have died following the clashes in the region.

Meanwhile, YDG-H members killed Mursel Gul, a salesperson, in Istanbul.

Claiming responsibility after the attack, the YDG-H claimed that Gul had fought for ISIS against the PKK’s Syrian affiliate, the Kurdish People’s Defense Units (YPG) in northern Syria.

A following  investigation launched by officials revealed that Gul is said to have no ties to ISIS.

A total of 32 people were killed on Monday in a massive explosion that hit the garden of the Amara Culture Centre where members of the pro-Kurdish Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) had gathered for a press conference, before planning to cross into Syria to support the people of Kobani.

The suspect who carried out the bombing has been identified as 20-year-old Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz who is believed to have links to ISIS.

Two days after the bombing, two police officers were found dead in their shared home Sanliurfa.

Following the incident, the armed unit of the PKK, the People's Defence Forces (HPG), claimed responsibility for the two murders.

TRTWorld and agencies