Two soldiers of Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) were kidnapped on Monday in Turkey’s eastern province of Mus, according to a statement of TSK website on May 20.
The recent update provided by the TAF said a group of outlawed PKK abducted, and a legal inquiry has been launched.
The PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey as well as NATO and the EU, and is mostly active in the southeastern provinces of Turkey.
Last week, two villagers working at a tunnel construction were kidnapped from Silvan district in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir by the militants.
Similarly on May 9, the PKK terrorists also kidnapped two villagers from a town in eastern province of Mus.
Reports from Turkey’s intelligence agencies have said that attacks by the PKK may intensify in May as elections draw closer and that incidents with the purpose of pressuring the public and kidnappings will increase.
With recent attacks, the PKK threatens to halt the Peace Process launched in 2013 as they gear up for June 7 elections, according to reports of Turkey’s intelligence services published in early May.
Over three decades, the conflict between the government and the PKK claimed lives of around 40,000 people and caused major economic and social damage in the region.
In early 2013, the Turkish government launched the Kurdish Peace Process as part of a Resolution Process which was was initiated in 2012 to end the decades-old conflict with the PKK, which was founded in the late 1970s by its jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan.
Ocalan previously called on supporters in a letter to lay down arms and convene a congress to end the battle during Newroz celebrations on March 21, in Turkey’s southeastern province of Diyarbakir.