PKK kills police officer, child in recent terror attacks

Terror attacks carried out by the outlawed PKK kill police officer and child at different locations in Turkey’s Diyarbakir Province

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Crime scene investigation teams examining the police vehicle targeted by the PKK

An armed attack on a traffic police vehicle carried out by the outlawed PKK in the southeastern Diyarbakir Province killed one policeman on Sunday, as another PKK attack in the district of Silvan in the same province claimed the life of a child.

A traffic policeman in a police vehicle was also injured in the second attack.

The PKK is a recognised as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US, EU and the UK.

An explosion from a bomb in Silvan claimed the life of 14 year old Mehmet Emin Simpil. It was reported to be aimed at destroying a military vehicle but prematurely detonated before the vehicle arrived.

One person injured in the attack was a driver for the Diyarbakir Municipality Waterworks Authority (DİSKİ).

The incident took place nearby dam construction site in Silvan which PKK the opposes and had threatened with attacks. The site has been the target of several other PKK attacks involving the kidnapping of workers and burning of construction vehicles.

More than 60 security officers and civilians have been killed since July 11 in PKK terror attacks, the date its umbrella organization - the Group of Communities (KCK) - declared that it is ending its ceasefire with the Turkish state and threatened the country with attacks.

The southeastern province of Elazig was also targeted in a PKK attack in the early hours of the day.

The Karakocan district gendarmerie station was attacked by PKK terrorists with rocket launchers and long-barreled weapons, triggering clashes between security forces and the militants.

The militants are reported to have escaped into a nearby forest in the dark.

A freight-train service between Elazig and Tatvan came under bomb attack passing through Mus province.

Four wagons were derailed and three security officers were slightly injured in the attack on Saturday night.  

On Sunday Tunceli Governorate declared that the Tunceli-Erzincan and Tunceli-Ovacik highways would remain closed for three days in order for security measures to be implemented.

TRTWorld and agencies