PKK terrorists kill 8 Turkish soldiers in terror attack

PKK terrorists kill eight Turkish Armed Forces personnel in roadside bomb attack in southeastern Siirt province

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Ambulances carry soldiers after PKK terror attack

PKK terrorists killed eight Turkish soldiers in a terror attack in Turkey’s southeastern Siirt province on Wednesday, in a roadside bomb attack.

Four soldiers were killed by PKK terrorists in Lice district in southeastern Diyarbakir Province in the course of the last two days after soldiers took part in a day-long clash with militants that started on Tuesday.

Turkish gendermarie Lieutenant Hubeyip Turan, Specialist Sergeant Muhammet Tufan, Specialist Sergeant Latif Adiguzel and Sergeant Metin Aydemir died in Diyarbakir hospital.

The PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by US, EU and Turkey.

Furthermore, another terror attack was launched by PKK in the southeastern Van province. The militants detonated a planted mine with a remote control as the military convoy was passing.

Simultaneously, militants launched a cluster bomb attack to the sub-governorship building in eastern Bitlis province. No casualties were reported in the attacks.

Turkey lost the most soldiers in a single day on Wednesday since the Suruc suicide bombing on July 20 which killed 34 people and is thought to have been carried out by an ISIS suicide bomber.

The Diyarbakir Governorate declared a curfew in the district effective as of 01:00 am on Tuesday midnight, before the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) launched an operation against PKK terrorists. 

PKK terrorists, reportedly armed with rifles, mined barricades and performed identity checks on the streets before firing on Turkish soldiers.

The PKK is an armed militant group that has been carrying out terror attacks mostly in Turkey’s southeastern provinces since the early 1980s. The group was founded by Abdullah Ocalan, who was captured in Kenya and imprisoned by the Turkish government in 1999. More than 40,000 people have lost their lives during 30 years of armed conflict between the PKK and the Turkish government.

Immediately after Turkey’s general election on June 7, the PKK’s umbrella organisation, the Group of Communities (KCK), issued a statement on July 11 declaring that its truce with the Turkish government has ended and threatened Turkey with further attacks.

Co-chair of KCK, Bese Hozat, declared on July 15 that a new stage of “revolutionary war” had begun in a column in a Turkish newspaper.

Hozat said “Hell must be raised and the earth must be shaken. Hundreds of thousands and millions shall rise and escalate the democracy struggle radically if needed, refusing to leave the squares for days, weeks.”

Since July 11, 56 security officers and seven civilians were killed by the PKK and its youth wing the YDG-H.

TRTWorld and agencies