PKK terrorists open fire at Turkish soldiers in Daglica

Militants open fire at military base in southeastern province of Hakkari

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

The PKK terrorists opened fire at a military base in Daglica district of Turkey’s southeastern province of Hakkari on May 18.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) released a statement in the morning, saying there were no casualties or injuries in the aftermath of the armed attack which took place at the Daglica military base.

“A group of separatist terror organisation members have fired double shot mortar shell at Daglica military base. Following the attack, the assailants had stopped fire as our soldiers fired back. There were no casualties or damage in the assault,” the statement said.

PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey as well as NATO and the EU. The conflict claimed the lives of more than 40,000 people and injured thousands.

Another attack was carried out on Turkish military staff on May 16 in the Turkey’s southeastern province of Sirnak by an unidentified assailant, which led to material damage.

Moreover, two villagers working at a tunnel construction were kidnapped from Silvan district in the southeastern Diyarbakir province by the PKK, the TAF said on its website on May 13.

With recent attacks, the PKK threatens to halt the Peace Process launched in 2013 as they gear up for June 7 elections.

In early 2013, the Turkish government launched the Kurdish Peace Process as part of a Resolution Process which was was initiated in 2012 to end the decades-old conflict with the PKK, which was founded in the late 1970s by its jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan.

One of the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) leaders, Bese Hozat, said on May 5 that the PKK had decided to change their earlier decision of convening a congress to lay down arms.

KCK is an umbrella organisation which brings all of the members and activities of the PKK.

Hozat said, “We don't have an aim to launch this congress at the moment. Because the process didn’t work.”

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu accused the PKK of their announcement and said one stakeholder cannot attempt to withdraw from the Peace Process at this point, as the process has been embraced by the people and has become public property.

“Today the ‘Resolution Process’ has ceased to be an issue of one shareholder, it became public property,” Davutoglu said.

The jailed PKK leader Ocalan previously called on supporters in a letter to lay down arms and convene a congress to end the battle during Newroz celebrations on March 21, in Turkey’s southeastern province of Diyarbakir.

Reports from Turkey’s intelligence agencies have said attacks by the PKK may intensify in May as general election on June 7 draws closer and that incidents with the purpose of pressuring the public and kidnappings will increase.

TRTWorld and agencies