PKK terror attack kills 6 including 3 children in Diyarbakir

At least five civilians including three children and police officer killed and 39 others wounded in PKK attack on police department in Turkey’s southeastern province of Diyarbakir

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Wounded have been taken to a local hospital in Cinar district of Diyarbakir after attack by PKK on police department

At least five civilians including three children and a police officer were killed and 39 others were injured in an attack carried out by the PKK terrorist group in Turkey’s southeastern province of Diyarbakir on Wednesday night, the provincial governor's office said on Thursday.

Authorities said that five-year old Sadik Efe Acikgoz, one-year old Ecrin Acikgoz and a five-month old baby were among the casualties.

According to early reports, the PKK attacked police department headquarters in the province’s Cinar district using rocket launchers, long-barreled rifles and a bomb-laden vehicle.

An explosion was reported to have taken place at the entrance of the building, following with terrorists opening fire with long range weapons.

Police fired back in response. An operation is now underway to capture the perpetrators.

Turkish security forces deployed reinforcements to secure the area after a number of surrounding buildings were also damaged in the attack.

The wounded have been taken to hospital where they are receiving treatment.

The paramedics in the region have already been risking their lives everyday to help hundreds of people, who have been affected by PKK violence in Diyarbakir.

Meanwhile, Turkish security forces on Thursday detained two suspected PKK terrorists in connection with the attack.

Unconfirmed reports claim that the PKK also carried out terror attacks in other southeastern districts including Bismil, Cizre, Mardin, Silopi, Sirnak and Van.

The PKK, a Marxist-Leninist group that operates mainly in Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish southeastern regions, is considered a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US, and EU.

The group resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in late July after unilaterally ending a two-year ceasefire.

Since then, almost 300 people including security officials and civilians have been killed in PKK terror attacks.

TRTWorld and agencies