PKK threatens village guards, burns vehicle in Turkey’s east

Armed unit of outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) threatens village guards in letter and burns vehicle in Turkey’s east

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Despite the Eid el-Fitr holiday celebrations all over Turkey, the armed unit of the outlawed PKK and People's Defence Forces (HPG) overshadowed the celebrations by issuing a statement on Friday that threatened the village guards siding with the government.

Directly addressing village guards, the statement said, “Despite our warnings, you are taking part in the operations, road checks and standing guard alongside the enemy shows us you have ignored us.”

“You know we will never allow the construction of the Silvan Dam and new police stations. While you are protecting the enemy, who will protect you? You should know we will not abstain from targeting you,” the statement said.

The HPG statement was left at the doors of the business shops and residents in the Silvan district of southeastern Diyarbakir province.

Part of the Southeastern Anatolia Project (GAP), the Silvan Dam will become the second biggest irrigation dam after the Ataturk Dam located on the Euphrates River in Turkey’s southeast.

PKK had intensified its attacks in recent weeks and last week the umbrella organization of the PKK, Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) announced the 2012 truce with the Turkish government that ended 30 years of armed conflict was no longer valid.

The latest attacks have been occurring mainly around Silvan, targeting soldiers, workers, construction equipment, so on.

In a separate incident, militants burned a truck on a highway that connects the eastern province of Igdir with the Dogubeyazit district of the eastern province of Agri on Friday night.

The militants closed the traffic at the highway and blocked the road with the truck while seizing the keys of about 30 vehicles.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) informed in a statement that the gendarmerie forces intervened and were faced with fire from the militants. It said the militants ran away after the clashes with gendarmerie.

The Igdir public prosecutor’s office launched an investigation over the incident.  

A group of municipal workers were attacked and beaten on July 9 by militants as they tried to fix a water cut problem in Gole district of Turkey’s northeastern province of Ardahan, where the militants caused the water cut and briefly took three municipality workers hostage.

As security forces carried out an investigation in the area, the militants opened fire on the gendarmerie forces. During the attack, the militants fired at a vehicle which was carrying four civilians. One of the civilians in the attack was killed on the scene while two others were injured.

TRTWorld and agencies