Co-chairman of pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), Selahattin Demirtas, called the outlawed PKK on Wednesday to lay down arms against Turkey to end the armed conflict.
Speaking at a television programme on Tuesday evening, Demirtas stated that if his call works the PKK “definitely” should disarm and the conflict should be ended even the peace process doesn’t continue.
In early 2013, the Turkish government launched the Kurdish-Turkish Peace Process as part of a country’s Resolution Process which was was initiated in 2012 to end the decades-old conflict with the PKK, which was founded in the late 1970s by its now-jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan.
The PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, as well as the US and the EU.
“You say ‘the solution process should end’, ok. It will be ended but nobody should offer an alternative solution to start conflict again,” said Demirtas.
Demirtas previously said on Monday that the HDP has no influence over the PKK to reinstate the ceasefire with government by calling to lay down arms.
Turkish Prime Minister and leader of the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Ahmet Davutoglu made a statement after his visit to the HDP within coalition negotiations on Wednesday, saying that the disarmament of the PKK is the base condition of the peace process of Turkey.
“The disarmament will take place in Turkey, in one way or another. Let’s realise that together. You [HDP] shall make the call and all the arms shall be taken down,” Davutoglu said.
The Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), an umbrella organisation which brings all members and activities of the PKK together, issued a statement on Saturday saying that the truce which was reached with the Turkish government at the end of 2012 has ended, threatening Turkey with attacks.
Stating that it has been two and a half years after the disarmament call was made by imprisoned Ocalan in 2013, the leadership of the KCK said “The Turkish government had failed to comply articles of the agreement which would lead to continuous armed conflicts.”
The PKK killed one civilian and injured two on Sunday while firing at gendarmerie forces in the Turkey’s northeastern province of Ardahan, where the militants caused a water cut and briefly took three municipality workers hostage, the Ardahan governorate reported.
A group of municipal workers had been attacked and beaten on July 9 by the PKK terrorists as they tried to fix a water cut problem in Gole. The militants had sabotaged the water supply line and prevented the workers from fixing it and stole the municipality car before taking the three workers hostage.
As the security forces carried out investigation in the area, the militants opened fire on a vehicle and killed 65-year old civilian Kanber Morkoc.
The PKK has increased its armed activities in recent weeks, having carried out a bomb attack on a military vehicle providing security for the Silvan Dam construction in Silvan, a district in Turkey's southeast, on June 30.
As a part of the Southeastern Anatolia Project (GAP), the Silvan Dam will become the second biggest irrigation dam after the Ataturk Dam located on the Euphrates River in Turkey’s southeast.