Prosecution finds Ankara bombing aimed at political unrest

Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issues extensive public statement on Ankara bombings indicating the purpose of attacks were to fuel political tensions and cause unrest

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

The scattered people look for the casualties in front of Ankara’s main train station following the twin suicide bombings on Oct. 10, 2015

Updated Oct 29, 2015

Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office of Ankara has issued an extensive statement on the twin Ankara bombings, indicating that DAESH aimed through the attacks to sabotage the approaching snap elections which will be held on Nov. 1, “creating political instability and conditions which will make the formation of any kind of government severely difficult in the emerging political outlook,” following the elections.

A march organised by leftist labor unions and political parties was targeted by the twin suicide bombs around 10:00 am on Oct. 10, when crowds had just started to gather in front of Ankara’s main train station, killing 102 people and wounding more than 500 others.

The statement particularly emphasised that the group targeted to delay the Nov. 1 elections by spreading terror attacks throughout Turkey.

The prosecutor’s office also confirmed that it has obtained crucial information from the confiscated digital materials on the group which ”organised the heinous Ankara attacks,” following the police raid against the members of the organisation in different locations.

The statement said that “the mentioned organisation has been based in Turkey’s southeastern province of Gaziantep where the group has compiled itself in a cell structure. It is understood that this organisation in Gaziantep has directly taken orders from the DAESH terrorist organisation in Syria by planning various attacks across Turkey.”

The assailants have also aimed to attack the social groups which they specifically selected to target by the Ankara bombings in order to provoke their “marginal factions” for large-scale protests, and other actions, resulting with political unrest, the statement said.

The DAESH-linked group in Turkey which took commands from DAESH in Syria, also intended to create a perception that the Turkish state is responsible for the attacks to legitimise the terrorist PKK’s attacks against Turkey, the statement added.  

There has been “strong evidence” that the group had also organised the previous attacks targeting the two provincial offices of People’s Democratic Party (HDP) in southern Turkey and a popular HDP rally held in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir during the June 7 election campaign, according to the statement.

The offices of the HDP in Turkey’s southern provinces of Adana and Mersin were bombed on May 18. The explosions injured four people and damaged the buildings.

A HDP rally in Diyarbakir was targeted by two simultaneous blasts detonated by a mobile phone, killing four people and wounding over 100 two days before Turkey’s June 7 general elections.

The detained suspect of the Diyarbakir attack, Orhan Gonder, claimed to have links with DAESH in his statement to Turkish police, following his capture by the security forces.

Furthermore, the prosecutor’s office stated that strong evidence signals that the Suruc bombing attack which took place in Turkey’s southeastern province of Sanliurfa on July 20 was also conducted by the same group two weeks after the June 7 elections.

The Suruc suicide bombing which was reportedly carried out by a DAESH member, Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz, the brother of one of the recent Ankara bombers, killed 34 civilians who were members of the pro-leftist Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) who had gathered for a press meeting, before planning to cross into Syria to support the people of Kobani.

According to Turkish police, Alagoz attended a DAESH bomb training centre in Syria with Orhan Gonder, who previously carried out the Diyarbakir bombing.

The PKK has particularly increased its attacks on both police and the Turkish Armed Forces in southeastern and eastern regions following the Suruc suicide bombing of DAESH.

The recent PKK terror attacks have killed 148 security officials and over 30 civilians in Turkey since the group’s umbrella organisation, the KCK, unilaterally ended a two and half year-long cease fire with the government on July 11.

Both PKK and DAESH are recognised as terrorist organisations by Turkey, the US, EU, and NATO.

The statement also noted that the mentioned group carried out the Ankara bombing after they took permission from DAESH in Syria to organise the attacks and asked Turkish suicide bombers from the group.

In addition, the group in Turkey shared their violent aims for the country with the group in Syria, according to the prosecutor's office.

The statement drew attention that DAESH-linked organisation has gained permission from the group in Syria “to attack against all of anti-DAESH and PKK-connected groups” in Turkey.

The group is also trying to gain permission from DAESH in Syria to attack Turkey’s Christian and Jewish minorities, the statement specified.

TRTWorld and agencies