Second curfew lifted in Turkey's southeastern Cizre town

Turkish state decides to lift second curfew imposed in Cizre district of Turkey’s southeastern Sirnak province

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Turkish state on Monday lifted the second curfew imposed in Cizre district of Turkey’s southeastern Sirnak province amid security concerns regarding operations targeting PKK terrorists.

The second curfew came 36 hours after the week-long curfew which ended at 7 am local time (0400GMT) on Saturday.

The curfew began at 7 pm, local time (0400GMT) Sunday and ended at 7 am, local time (0400GMT) Monday,the Sırnak Governor’s Office said in a statement.

The officials announced that the security operations against the PKK terrorists are still ongoing in the town.

Turkish authorities announced operations against PKK targets took place mostly in Cizre's Nur neighborhood during the first curfew in which more than 45 PKK barricades were destroyed, some 30 ditches were refilled while 32 PKK terrorists - including high-ranking members - were killed and 10 detained.  

Operations also included bombing some of the barricades and ditches and raiding over 150 apartments used as ammunition depots for the PKK which is designated a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the United States and European Union.

Twenty explosive devices were found and destroyed along with 800 kilograms of explosives while many rifles and homemade explosives were also seized in the operations.

Turkish authorities said the curfew imposed in Cizre was aimed at preventing PKK terrorists from carrying out attacks and rioting while certain neighborhoods were not under strict curfew.

Officials said emergency services couldn't reach 81 out of 251 emergency situations due to security measures during the curfew.

PKK terrorists continued to carry out attacks targeting health workers in Cizre and prevented them from providing services to the locals, 17 of those incidents were injury cases caused by PKK barricades and ditches.

Meanwhile, PKK terrorists on Sunday killed two policemen, Sahin Altmis and Soner Yildirim, in a terror attack in Turkey’s southeastern Sirnak province.

PKK terrorists attacked a police checkpoint on the Sirnak-Uludere highway with a bomb laden vehicle around 5:30 am local time (0830 GMT).

The number of security officers including soldiers and policemen in PKK terror attacks has increased to 113, since outlawed PKK's umbrella organization, KCK, declared to bilaterally end the over two-year old ceasefire with the government on July 11.

TRTWorld, AA